- The Dance; Historic Illustrations of Dancing from 3300 B.C. to 1911 A.D.
Ebook illustrating the costume, position and accessories of the dance in various periods. Text accompanies the images.To download a complete copy of this text yourself, visit http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/17289 .
- A History of Social Dance in America
Article discusses 18th and 19th century American dance, its origins, and social roles, as well as types of dance, dance etiquette and fashion. Text is accompanied by images taken from dance programs, manuals, sheet music and periodicals of the era.
- An American Ballroom Companion: Dance Instruction Manuals, ca. 1490-1920
From the Library of Congress, over 200 social dance manuals. Includes dance instruction manuals, as well as a significant number of antidance manuals, histories, treatises on etiquette, and more.
- History of Modern Dance (video)
Brief preview version of a full-length documentary. Dance historians, modern dance instructors, and choreographers trace the evolution of modern dance and postmodern dance.
- Post-Modern Dance; a Brief History (video)
This video shows selections from pieces by a number of major post-modern choreographers and dancers, from Isadora Duncan and Martha Graham to Twyla Tharp and Pina Bausch. (Text is in Portuguese.)
- 500 Years of Italian Dance: Treasures from the Cia Fornaroli Collection
This exhibit from the New York Public Library for the Performing Arts focuses on the Cia Fornaroli Collection which covers Italian dance history from the Renaissance to the early twentieth century.